Events In Armidale In June 2016
If you happen to be in Armidale in June, you will enjoy the magnificent winter weather the city has to offer. Sunny days are forecast for nearly all of June, which makes it possible to enjoy Armidale outdoors, as well as inside!
Whenever you visit Armidale, there will most likely be an event in or around the area – there is always something for everyone!
WINTER FESTIVAL on Saturday 25th June – a highlight for June!!
- This festival is hosted by the Armidale Tourist Park, from 12noon – 7.30pm.
- 39 Waterfall Way Armidale NSW 2350
- Organiser Information: Katrina Mitchell, Armidale Tourist Park, 0414091949
- Cost: Adults $12-/ Students $10-/ Family $45- (2adults + 4children)
Entertainment will include:
– Blues with a guest appearance by Melanie Gray;
– Shakespeare’s “A Winter’s Tale” abridged and retold with comic flair by Alex Robson;
– Opera in the Tourist Park;
– KompliKate and Fire Twirlers;
– Fun for the whole family with an Ice Slide; Jumping Pillow, Playground and Faux snow.
This will be a day for the whole family to celebrate winter in Armidale. Come and experience first class entertainment while sipping on mulled wine, while the kids play on the ice slide and jumping pillow. Watch Shakespeare, listen to Opera and the Blues, watch the Fire Twirlers, and embrace local food and wines, in a winter’s setting.
REGULAR GUIDED TOURS
– Saumarez Gardens & Farm: Gardens & Farm, Saumarez Road (enter from New England Highway via Armidale Airport).
Weekdays throughout June. 10.00am-5.00pm. COST: $7 (adult), $5 (concession), $15- (family), National Trust members free.
This rural property has not changed much since the time when many families worked there, making the homestead almost self-sufficient with their skills: they grew, harvested or slaughtered most of the food on the property. Transport was supplied by station-bred horses which were shod from the on-site blacksmith’s shop. Then stroll through Mary White’s cottage garden, the picking garden, and lawns. In the main gardens is a “Green Cathedral”, under a giant Chinese Elm – a perfect place for special outdoor functions. For more information, phone (02) 6772 3616.
– Saumarez Homestead Tours: Saumarez Homestead, Saumarez Road (enter from New England Highway via Armidale Airport). Weekends throughout June. Homestead tours 10.30am, 2.00pm and 3.30pm. Grounds open between 10.00am and 5.00pm. Café open 10.00am to 4.00pm.
Guided tours through the White family’s 30-room Edwardian mansion, with original furnishings, followed by a stroll through Mary White’s varied gardens, and the lawns. Visit outbuildings complete with 19th century tools and equipment.
Devonshire teas, lunches and other refreshments are available at the Saumarez Café. For more information, phone (02) 6772 3616.
– NERAM (New England Regional Art Museum) Exhibition Programme
- Wednesday 1st to Sunday 5th June 2016
- VENUE: New England Regional Art Museum, 106-114 Kentucky Street
- TIME: 10.00am-4pm
- For more information, phone (02) 6772 5255
NERAM hosts a frequently changing annual exhibitions programme, with works from its own collections, travelling exhibitions from other galleries, and exhibitions of works from leading regional artists. NERAM displays at least one permanent collection exhibition at any one time, with a wide variety of media – photography, sculpture, drawing and painting. For information on current exhibitions, please contact NERAM on the above number.
-Studio 52 – Modern Australian Restaurant, at NERAM Cafe 106-114 Kentucky Street, Armidale NSW 2350; Phone: (02) 6772 0332. Open every day 9am-4pm, except Mondays
ENTERTAINMENT (Plays/ Opera/ Dance)
“Women Like Us” @ the SerVies
- Saturday 18th June
- VENUE: Main Lounge, Armidale Ex Services Memorial Club, 137 Dumaresq Street.
- TIME: 7.00pm. COST: $20per person- available from Reception at the Club.
Stand-up comedians Mandy Nolan and Ellen Briggs join forces in ‘Women Like Us’ – to deliver two hours of sharp, honest, sometimes self-deprecating stand-up comedy for audiences who love their humour straight from the lip. They are known for their ability to find the humour in everyday experiences. They come from Mullumbimby in northern NSW, and have a great rapport with country audiences. They have a wide range of material, including parenting, getting older, obsessions, frustrations, the beauty industry, strange surgeries, weird TV shows …. and much more. For more information, phone (02) 6776 0800
“Stones in his Pockets”
- Wednesday 8th June
- VENUE: Hoskins Centre, The Armidale School, enter from Chapel Street.
- TIME: 7.30pm. COST: $25 (adult), $20 (senior), $15 (student)
A comical tale of an Irish town turned upside down. The play is a tragi-comedy about a small rural town in Ireland where many of the townspeople are extras in a Hollywood film.
The cast of two performs all 15 characters (men and women), often switching gender and voice with swift dexterity, and with the absolute bare minimum of costume changes – a hat here, a jacket there. Author: Marie Jones. Director: Chris Bendall. Cast: Sean Hawkins and Grant Cartwright. For more information, phone (02) 6776 5878
Met Opera – “Madame Butterfly”
- Saturday 4th June
- VENUE: Belgrave Twin Cinema, 137 Dumaresq Street.
- TIME: morning (Saturday), afternoon (Sunday). COST: $29- (adult), $25- (concession), $17- (3-14 years)
Approximate running time: 3 hours 40 minutes, including intermission. Sung in Italian with Met Titles in English. Anthony Minghella’s breathtaking production has thrilled audiences ever since its premiere in 2006. One of the world’s foremost Butterfly’s, soprano Kristine Opolais, takes on the title role, and Roberto Alagna sings Pinkerton, the naval officer who breaks Butterfly’s heat. Conducted by Karel Mark Chichon. For more information, phone (02) 6772 2856.
Market Sunday Concert
- Sunday 26th June
- VENUE: Uniting Church, 114 Rusden Street.
- TIME: 12.30pm. Concert is free, but donations are greatly appreciated. For more information, phone (02) 6772 3233.
Armidale Dance Group
- Saturday 4th June
- VENUE: Legacy House, 89 Faulkner Street.
- TIME: 7.30-11.00pm. COST: $9-per person
A ‘plate’ for supper is appreciated. For more information, phone Hazel on (02) 6775 2543 0r email email@example.com
Guyra Dance – Armidale Dance Group
- Saturday 25th June
- VENUE: Bill Wicks Gymnasium, Guyra Central School, Marne Street, Guyra.
- TIME: 7.30pm. COST: $8- per person.
A ‘plate’ for supper is appreciated. Money raised will be donated to CanAssist. For more information, phone Hazel on (02) 6775 2543 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
– Farmers’ Market & Car Boot Sale: Curtis Park, adjacent to Armidale Visitor Information Centre carpark. Sunday 5th & Sunday 19th June 8.00am-1.00pm. Purchase fresh products from local producers – and find a bargain at the car boot sale. For more information, contact 0476 539 204 or email email@example.com.
- Uralla Indoor Markets: VENUE: RSL Memorial Hall, Salisbury Street, Uralla. TIME: 8.00am-1.00pm. COST: free. Saturday 25th June
Some of the items which may be available are: office furniture; toys; clothes; scented herbs; trees and shrubs; jams; art and craft; linen; concrete garden ornaments; leather ware; honey; crockery and cutlery; shoes; knitting; jewellery; floor mats and rugs; home baking … and much, much more!
- PCYC Markets in the Mall: VENUE: The Mall, Beardy Street. TIME: 8.30am-1.00pm. Sunday 26th June.
Purchase fresh products from producers and possibly find the article that you have always wanted. For more information, phone (02) 6772 1023.
Armidale Birdwatching Group
- Sunday 5th June
- VENUE: Dangars Falls, Dangars Falls Road, off Dangarsleigh Road.
- TIME: 8.00am (depart Visitor Information Centre, 82 Marsh Street).
Bring food (morning tea and lunch), water, binoculars, sunscreen and hat, and wear good, firm walking shoes. For more information, and to register to join the group, phone Shirley on (02) 67727262.
Armidale Greyhound Race Day
- Saturday 18th June
- VENUE: Armidale Greyhound Track, Barney Street. TIME: 1.00-4.00pm.
- COST: $6- per person.
For more information, contact Garry Carson on 0402 705 935
Show Your Colours for the Chopper
- Sunday 5th June
- VENUE: Racecourse, Barney Street. TIME: 10.30am.
This is a 5km fun run that saves lives by supporting the Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service.
This fun run is open to everyone. Run, walk or push a pram. You’ll have the best time, and you can do it with your friends, family or work mates. Get a team together and sign up today.
This is not a timed event. Runners tend to take their time out there. No one really cares about how fast you are really going and self-timing is suggested for any serious athletes.
In 2016 the Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service will be the beneficiary.
For registration (early-bird pricing available), visit www.sycfunrun.com.au.
For more information, phone Taylor on (02) 6764 9400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please check dates and times of events on individual websites in case of any changes.
While you’re in Armidale, check in at The Club Motel Armidale, situated at 107 Dumaresq Street, Armidale, NSW. We offer outstanding motel accommodation with large, modern rooms. Call us today on (02) 6772 8777, or visit our website: www.clubmotelarmidale.com.au
We provide easy access to our 18 rooms, which are all located on the ground floor, with parking outside each room. We offer affordable rates, and rooms are always maintained in pristine condition. Club Motel Armidale will provide you with the comfort you are looking for in excellent motel accommodation in Armidale.
Our friendly staff and outstanding customer service will ensure you have a great experience when you stay with us. Give us a call today – we will make your stay a memorable one.